You can contact me at jmlabeckjr@gmail.com - Please support this blog, either by visiting the ads, or making a donation. Thank you.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

What To Make?


One question that often gets asked is, “What should I make?” In my podcast, I often say, “Make the beer you want to drink.” It sounds simplistic, but that's it, in a nutshell.

You know what flavors you like. Make your beer taste that way. Strong,alcoholic beers, malty beers, hoppy beers, beers with fruit flavors,or spices, herbs, or other additives; all are viable options. You're only limited by your own imagination, and wallet.

Which brings me to one of my favorite practices from my own experience. When I found myself short on cash (all too often), I would pick up a cheap can of malt extract, an ounce of hops, throw open the kitchen cabinets, and grab whatever I thought would ferment; brown sugar, molasses, instant oatmeal, fruit preserve. I called it Kitchen Cabinet Ale. It was always different, and always good.

No comments:

Post a Comment