You can contact me at jmlabeckjr@gmail.com - Please support this blog, either by visiting the ads, or making a donation. Thank you.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

American Politics


I hope you don't mind, but for this first post, I'm going to ignore everything I have in my subject line.

This has been on my mind for a very long time. I am sick and tired of politicians who “hone” or “adjust” their “message”. What I want to hear is what they believe, not what they think we want to hear.

Here is a list of people in politics I've admired: Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, Jodi Rell (former CT governor), George W. Bush, Barack Obama.

And here's a list of those I don't especially care for: Richard Nixon, George H. W. Bush, Mitt Romney, Bill Clinton, John Rowland (former CT governor)

Now, I understand this is all just my own perception, but, that's all I've got. The first list are people who seemed to me to have principles and convictions, and acted on them. The second group all seemed to change their actions and words to accommodate the prevailing opinions of the day.

My own political bent is very much conservative. However, as it stands right now, I'm probably going to vote for Obama. In my opinion, he is a good and decent man, doing what he believes is best. I rarely agree with him, but I like and admire him.

Mr. Romney, on the other hand, appears to say and do whatever he thinks will get him elected. I want someone with something inside, not just someone who will reflect what we say.

There, I've said it. I feel much better, now.

2 comments:

  1. Do not like Romney at all. I think he's probably a horrible person underneath his politian smiles and waves. Obama has said and done things that I feel are deeply important for our forward moving society. (That and he's kind of a nerd.)

    Also, this is your southern belle of a daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know, I hadn't thought about that. Maybe it's his nerdiness that I like. ;)

    ReplyDelete