You can contact me at jmlabeckjr@gmail.com - Please support this blog, either by visiting the ads, or making a donation. Thank you.

Sunday, January 20, 2013

A plea for help

I've mentioned several times that I've been brewing for, well, awhile. Way back when I was first starting, the best brewing resource there was, was The Homebrew Digest. It's an online discussion group of the old type. The delay between your question or comment and a reply could be as much as a week, since it's all by email.

But, any and every question got answered, and the technical discussions, though they often went way over my head, often taught me something.

Now, we're in a world that wants everything NOW! The Digest is really just a shadow of it's former self. It may pass away. I understand that. Nothing lasts forever, no matter how much we wish it would.

But, on the other hand, I won't just stand by and watch it happen. If it goes, Okay. But, I intend to do what I can to keep it here.

I was able to give a small donation to help with operating expenses. However, as was pointed out to me by one of the Digest's maintainers, what it really needs is activity.

The Homebrew Digest needs to become part of the brewing scene again, not an interesting piece of history. I truly think there's still a place for a slower, more low-key type of discussion that the email delay would naturally produce.

So, I would implore you. Go to http://hbd.org. Subscribe to the Digest. It doesn't cost you anything, and they've always done all they can to make it spam-free. Participate. Ask questions. Share your knowledge and experiences.

And finally, if you can spare the funds, donate. There are no sponsors. No one underwrites this effort. The HBD is totally dependent on the generosity of its subscribers, and that is where part of the problem is.

So, please. At least go to the site and read some of the older Digests. You may find it's just what you're looking for.


No comments:

Post a Comment