You can contact me at jmlabeckjr@gmail.com - Please support this blog, either by visiting the ads, or making a donation. Thank you.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Unexpected Expected news

I apologize for the delay.

I have several sites online, as you may know, and I wrestled for some time with exactly where to put this. The news was rather personal, but relates in many way to what we all grapple with daily.

Over the last 10-15 years, I've found myself in declining health. I've had increasing difficulty in standing without support, and walking without assistance. I've been seeing doctors, to try and pin down a cause, and I finally got some answers. They aren't good.

I have a form of ataxia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataxia) without specific cause, and therefore no specific course of treatment. It also means I'm not getting better.

That takes some getting used to. The future doesn't look anything like it did a few months ago. I had hoped for a retirement full of exploration, adventure, and travel. Instead, I look at a future of isolation and immobility.

Now that I've decided where to put my thoughts, I hope to more faithfully document those thoughts. As we work through a treatment plan, I intend to let you all know how I'm doing, and whether or not the plan is showing any success.

One bright ray of hope is that there is a plan. It seems relatively certain that there will be a decline in my abilities, But we can do a great deal to ensure that the downward slope is as shallow and gentle as possible.

The on thing that I hate about this more than anything else is the isolation. So many friends, from so many years, that I'll probably never see again. That makes me sad. I hope to find, somehow, a way to become more mobile, and see some of those people who have touched me so deeply over the years.

Well, that's all for now. I promise to post more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment