You can contact me at jmlabeckjr@gmail.com - Please support this blog, either by visiting the ads, or making a donation. Thank you.

Friday, August 11, 2017

A New Truth

I almost posted this on Facebook. I probably would have reached a wider audience. But, I think this is more important than how many eyeballs see it in the first few days.

I just watched a piece on CNN called "Why Trump Won". I was surprised how incisive and non-judgmental it was. The program postulated that Trump tapped into a deep sense of dis-satisfaction about the direction this country is taking. He won a narrow victory, but it was a victory. He won, and is the President.

Someone who wants to win subsequent elections, by bigger margins, must find a way to bridge these gaps. This person (whoever he or she may be) needs to make us realize that we all share the same heritage of freedom and liberty. It shouldn't matter if you make $1500 a month (like me) or whatever your average ball player or movie star pulls down.

Under the law, we should all be equal. Mitch McConnell, Chuck Schumer, Donald Trump, You, and Me, should all be the same. Rich, poor, black, white, Asian, hetero, LGBT, and anyone I forgot should all be equal.

To me, that's what America has always been about. We'll probably never actually get there, but we should always try, always strive, to be what Reagan called "that bright shining city on a hill".

That was the America I used to (and still do) pledge allegiance to, the one my son fought for (twice).

I'm on the opposite side of the political spectrum from many of you - maybe most of you. Believe it or not, you are on my friends list for a reason. You, and your opinions, have value. Whether you supported Trump, Clinton, Johnson, or Woody Woodpecker.

Please, let's stop calling each other names, and try to find a way to work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment